Mouse’s Pineapple or Strong Back Root is a tropical vine with glossy, bright green leaves, white flowers and yellow fruits that resemble small pineapples. It is native to southern Florida and tropical America. A perennial herb that belongs to the Coffee family, the Strong Back Root is a medicinal herb that has been used by people from various corners of the world for a number of medicinal purposes. The berries and roots of the plant are popular for their medicinal properties and have been used by people for quite a while now. Besides its medicinal benefits, the Strong Back Root is also utilized as an ornamental plant. Strong Back Root is a rather resilient plant that can survive even an extensive dry spell.
Morinda royoc is a sprawling and clambering shrub or vine, ascending to a maximum height of about 6 meters. Morinda royoc is found in thickets and pinelands, on limestone, and not far from the seacoast of southeastern Florida, the Florida Keys and tropical America. Its evergreen leaves are opposite or in whorls of 3, narrow-lanceolate or oblong-elliptic, 5-10 cm in length, 1.5-4 cm wide, dark-green, glossy, and faintly rough on the upper surface with a few hairs beneath. Small, white or sometimes reddish, 5-lobed flowers are borne in dense heads 7-10 mm wide. The yellow, somewhat raspberry-like fruits, 2-3.5 cm long and 2 cm wide, are juicy and present all year. The stone is ovalish, 5 mm long, and buoyant, having a cavity and pits like those that keep the related seagoing M. citrifolia afloat for long periods.
Seeds are Stored in a Refrigerator to Maintain Viability
- Scarify the seeds by nicking or sanding the seed coat.
- Soak the seed in water for several hours.
- Prepare a mixture of half potting soil and half sand, perlite or vermiculite. Water the mixture so that it is moist but not wet.
- Put the seeds on the soil.
- Cover the seeds with a thin layer of soil.
- Water the seeds.
- Place the pots in an area with warm temperatures in full sun or part shade.
- When the seedlings are a few inches tall, they can be transplanted.