The Foxtail Palm is a beautiful palm that is similar to a Royal Palm but it is hardier and can grow in areas that are too cold for Royal Palms. It is one of today's most popular and fascinating ornamental palms, this species was discovered as recently as the early eighties. Despite its recent discovery almost everyone in the palm world is familiar with this beautiful, but at the same time tough and adaptable palm. The Foxtail Palm grows a solitary, smooth, slightly spindle-shaped trunk that supports a full crown of the most beautiful, densely plumose fronds. It will grow successfully in all warm temperate and tropical climates and will even tolerate some light frost.
- Soak the seeds in water for 24 hours.
- Prepare a mixture of half potting soil and half sand, perlite or vermiculite. Put the mixture in several pots.
- Set the seeds horizontally on the surface of the soil. Cover the seeds with a layer of soil that is ¼” thick.
- Put the pots in a warm area. The seeds need moist soil and heat to germinate. They take 1-3 months to germinate.
- When the seedlings have a few leaves, they can be transplanted.